Sauterne wine is made from the rare white Bordeaux grapes in France, so it seems a shame to compromise the sweet, delicate flavor with the wrong foods or pairings. Sauterne is a wonderfully-light and delectable wine that is perfect chilled during warm summer weather. Make sure to pair this wine with foods that complement rather than overpower the flavor of this wine.
Six summer-inspired ways to enjoy your favorite Sauterne are:
- With the season's freshest fruit. This white Bordeaux-style wine is ideal when served with something light and naturally sweet- like fresh fruit! Visit farmers' markets and grocery stores to find fruit that is at the peak of flavor, which will enhance the overall taste of your Sauterne. Also, shop for organic fruit when possible.
- In your favorite Sangria recipe. While Sauterne is delicious on its own, chilled, it is also perfect in a summer-inspired Sangria. Add chopped fruits, such as apples, pear, grapes, and citrus, to a pitcher and add a bottle of Sauterne; allow to soak in the refrigerator to infuse the flavors. Add some orange liqueur and a splash of club soda before serving over ice.
- With a splash of soda. Speaking of club soda, it is the perfect little summertime kick for your cold glass of Sauterne. Don't add too much, though; the goal is not to dilute the wine but merely to add some sparkle and fizz.
- As a contrast to heavy desserts. If you are all about rich desserts, Sauterne is the perfect accompaniment. The light flavor pairs well with heavy custards, pastries, or cakes, cutting the fat and cleansing the palate.
- Accompanying a simple cheese plate. Sauterne is perfect with your summer cheese plates when entertaining or hosting cocktail parties. The sweet, fruity flavor is ideal with rich cheeses, such as baked brie, goat-cheese, fondues, and dips.
- To soak and spike your fresh berries. Serving fresh berries this summer? Take time to soak them in a bit of Sauterne; place in the refrigerator for a couple hours to allow the flavors to meld. This is a great idea for a picnic, and it can be packed in a thermos to keep the fruit and wine perfectly chilled.
Try these ideas to enjoy cool, crisp Sauterne on a warm summer evening, during a party, or for your picnic. Visit wine sellers to find Sauterne and ask sommeliers about other serving suggestions for this light, sweet wine.